The Good Life

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Running

It never occurrs to me that running 42 km is that hard.

For a guy who runs the trails at MacRitchie reservior for fun, struggling to complete the marathon is the last thing that came into my mind. That's life, I guess.

It's a breeze for me in the first 20 km. Then it stikes. For the first time in my life, I got a cramp in my groin area. Unexpected situation always strikes at the unexpected place. You thought you had everything under control, then the shit came tumbling down. It really ruined my day. That's life, I guess.

So I walked. I told myself to walk for a while, then continue jogging. But the longer I walk, the more comfortable I became. Up to a point where I had enough of slacking, I dragged my body to continue running. My legs refused to obey, and I had the most difficult time to regain my pace. Whenever I had a setback, I will lay low for a while. When I decided to start again, all the frictional forces start to oppose me, even though I have make up my mind. It's making my comeback so much difficult. That's life, I guess.

I hopped. I limped. I took small steps. I walked again. Then the cycle was repeated. I clearly wanted to overtake as many people as possible. Whenever, I jogged, those walking in front of me will be overtake by me. I'm thrilled. When I walked, I was being overtaken. Sucks. Sounds familiar? People just wanted to overtake each other. That's life, I guess.

I told myself I must not give up and complete the marathon. That's why I'm signing up for it in the first place. When I'm in pain, I told myself there was no pain. When the volunteers gave me water, I took a sip and continued to run. I keep focusing on the end point. I didn't enjoy the beautiful sceneries of Marina Bay, the Esplanade, the East Coast beach, the friendly uncles, aunties, foreigners who took time to cheer for me, and also the nice weather. I regreted it now. Why so result-minded? That's life, I guess.

God sure has/have a sense a humour. Sometimes just have to laugh it off and continue.

That's life, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home