The Good Life

Friday, April 29, 2005

What I Can Do Now

Another potentially fire hazard ahead.

Another weekend that will be burned... due to the on-going exams. When will this end? Soon I guess.... soon.

I met lots of new friends during the exams in the exam halls. Identities will not be disclosed:

The sniffer: He who keeps on sniffing throughout the exam. Wish I can throw him my tissue paper.

The twister: Yep... some twisters around. They keep on twisting their pens on the hand.

The model: Hot babe who sha-sha their way down the rows. I always make it a point to find my seat early, so that I can watch them.

The drummer: You are right. He keeps on drumming his fingers on the desk.

The whisperer: He/ she will talk to himself/herself. Sometimes can even hear a vulgarity being spewed.

The wanderer: Suddenly stand up and walk while exam in progress. Go toilet lah.

Some of them are refering to me lah.

Will I miss the exams?

No.

So many things had happened, and I missed them all. All thanks to the exams that are laying seige on my mind.

One thing that caught my attention is the closure of a particular blogger. Rumours are that his site will be closed down because he fear he will kena sue by a government agency. Ah what the hell.....

So what can be said on the Net and what can't be said? Where is our freedom of speech? DO WE HAVE?

Of course we have to be responsible for what we had said. We can't anyhow make a racist remark or go on a personal attack on someone.

But if we are only voicing our personal opinions (not accusation), are we crossing the line?

If I keep making sarcastic remarks on my world class NTU, will the Dean kick me out of school?

If I criticise the government here will the ISD call me to lim kopi in their office?

No lah.... I am just a small fry. It's not the case that I went to someone and shouted "Where is the money?"

Think I'm not making much sense here. But I hope we will have some places to trade our opinions and not being marked.

Yo Big Daddy.... are you reading this?

Is there really a freedom of speech here? Are we really living in a democratic society? Is the government really listening to us?

The world is watching.... and maybe laughing at Singapore.

Erh.... I saw a police car parking at the carpark. Think I will stop here.

This guy provided some intellectual online reading material. Go and visit if you have time. http://shianux.jiyuuu.org/ Happy reading.

5 Comments:

  • Know your rights, dude!

    Freedom of speech, assembly and association
    14. —(1) Subject to clauses (2) and (3) —

    (a) every citizen of Singapore has the right to freedom of speech and expression;

    (b) all citizens of Singapore have the right to assemble peaceably and without arms; and

    (c) all citizens of Singapore have the right to form associations.

    (2) Parliament may by law impose —

    (a) on the rights conferred by clause (1) (a), such restrictions as it considers necessary or expedient in the interest of the security of Singapore or any part thereof, friendly relations with other countries, public order or morality and restrictions designed to protect the privileges of Parliament or to provide against contempt of court, defamation or incitement to any offence;

    (b) on the right conferred by clause (1) (b), such restrictions as it considers necessary or expedient in the interest of the security of Singapore or any part thereof or public order; and

    (c) on the right conferred by clause (1) (c), such restrictions as it considers necessary or expedient in the interest of the security of Singapore or any part thereof, public order or morality.

    (3) Restrictions on the right to form associations conferred by clause (1) (c) may also be imposed by any law relating to labour or education.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, April 29, 2005 10:52:00 pm  

  • ok, I have no idea who that above commenter is, but he is not me.

    The site Wannabe Lawyer belongs to me, and I am the blogger publishing on that blog.

    Just so that you know, I'm not one to spam other people's blogs for publicity. I have no idea who this impersonator is.

    By Blogger Han, at Saturday, April 30, 2005 3:21:00 am  

  • Hey cool! I got 2 comments from the 'same' person. Anyway thks shianux... for informing me. The Net is full of danger sometimes... maybe the ISD is warning me or something.

    Has rooney got anything to do wif this? Haha.. juz asking. Toast to freedom of speech!

    By Blogger darren, at Saturday, April 30, 2005 10:57:00 am  

  • wah lau darren. everytime suspect me....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, April 30, 2005 1:35:00 pm  

  • Haha... hey u noe wat u did!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, April 30, 2005 8:05:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home