The Good Life

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

We Are So Young, So Young Now

Not now, but then. We were so young then.

So what music do you like, I would ask her.
And she would reply enthusiastically. One of them was Portishead.
Then came about the enthusiastic downloading of a deluge of new songs. I learnt about trip-hop and this wonderful vocalist and lyricist called Beth Gibbons.
There were so many songs, but it turns out I missed one out.
It was probably the one that meant most to her though- missed by me!

It's been quite a while now, but today I heard it again.
Downloading instincts are roused, I rush for the song.
I never knew it was by Beth, but it was to be somehow.
Launched the song, it is so beautiful.
Looked at the lyrics, and felt a sense of what might have been.
For what could she have meant, with lyrics like these?

I'm so tired, of playing
Playing with this bow and arrow
Gonna give my heart away
Leave it to the other girls to play
For I've been a temptress too long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home