The Good Life

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Not Here Yet

"Ryan! Table 14." Chef Wong placed the steamy hot pepper chicken steak on the counter and quickly walked away, ready to prepare the next dish.

I walked briskly towards the counter and took the dish. Table 14.... where is it? The north section... or the west section?

"Over there, sotong ball," Ruth whispered loudly, pointing to the north section. I gave her a don't-pissed-me-off look and walked away.

"Here you are, enjoy your meal." I smiled to the beaming couple. From the corner of my eyes I saw the young man sitting alone at Table 12. He had been sitting there for an hour already. Rather curious, I approached him.

"Sir, you expecting someone? Would you like to have an order first?" I asked.

"Hah.... no thanks. My partner is not here yet. I will wait first." The gentleman replied in a relax manner.

"Hmmm... why don't you gave her a call?" I said... then immediately regret it. That's other people's private business. You are stepping unto a landmine dude.

"Oh no... I don't know her number. But I'm expecting her today."

"So..... do you know who is she not?" I quickly blurted out.

"Nay.... that's why I'm reserving a seat for anybody. Anybody who will sit down with me tonight and share the night with me." The gentleman replied, then gave me the thumbs up.

I quickly took 3 steps back. What.......

Ruth gave me a nudge behind. "Chef Wong is calling for you. Better hurry." I gave the gentleman a stupid smile and jogged to the counter.

While clearing a table, Ruth came up to help. "Hey he is our regular customer. He came here every year on this day, sitting alone."

"Did he bother to call up a date?" I asked. Ruth gave me the shrug. "He seems to be a nice guy anyway." She chirped.

Oh really? I peeked at the gentleman. Still alone, he was patiently sipping his coffee. Dressed in a black suite and wore a silver tie. His hair was carefully combed back, showing his squarish jawline. He really seems a nice guy to me. Despite the restuarant full of couples due to Valentine's Day, he was acting very normal. The gentleman took another sip of his coffee and looked at me. He smiled.

Without delay, I took the dirty dishes back to the washing bay. Ok ok... I got what you mean. Cleaning my hands, I walked towards Ruth. I'm going to ask her out.

2 Comments:

  • Ryan asks Ruth out, they get married, they get a flat and car, they have sex, they have kids, they work their socks off to pay for kids' expenses, they retire, they fall sick, Ryan dies first, Ruth lives alone for 10 years in nursing home, then Ruth dies.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:33:00 pm  

  • Ryan asks Ruth out. They have a happy date. They get married, they have flat and car, they have sex, they have kids, they work their socks off to pay for kids' expenses, they quarrell but make up, they are tired but happy. They retire, they fall sick, they enjoy each other's company, they enjoy their children's company. Ryan dies first, Ruth lives for another 10 yrs under the care of their filial children. Then Ruth dies, ending a lasting legacy.
    --- u-get-it xiaolong

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home