The Good Life

Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Old Granny

The cold wind blew mercilessly around me. I tried to hide inside my trenchcoat.. but it was no use. I'm numb from the cold.. my heart felt cold.. very cold. I looked at my watch. 11 minutes past midnight. I scanned through the alley but there was no one. Damn it.... the dimly lighted streets looked dead. Who will be out on the street in such a damning weather? I thought to myself. I stamped hard on the ground.. trying to force some blood circulation into my feet. I hoped I am not waking up the poor residents.

I thought I saw a shadow from the corner of my eye. I turned... and saw a window with the lights still on. Somebody at the window? Just my imagination I guess. I'm shivering.. and I thought I'm going to die of cold when I saw the door open. The old door created an eerie sound when it opened... echoing through the lifeless alley. An old lady emerged and walked towards me. Her steps were small and unsteady... she was holding something in her hands. I could not make out what was it. A cup of tea!! The old granny finally reached me and passed me the warm tea. I wanted to decline it out of courtesy... but my pair of hands had already accepted it. Without a word she turned and slowly walked back to her house. Her small body frame seemed to be swaying under the howling wind. And I didn't even say a word of thanks. I stared at the cup of tea.. feeling life slowly seeping from the cup to my hands and to my heart and to my whole body.. I took a sip.. taste wonderful. I looked at the window and it's dark inside.

With a sigh I continue to stand in the street.. braving the cold wind... armed with a cup of warm tea... and wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home