The Good Life

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The Setting Sun

The sun was setting in the horizon. Soon darkness would fall upon this damned place. News of Bush winning the election really dampened my spirit. I was supposed to go back home last Monday... but now the break was postponed due to the Unit's re-deployment. I would be staying here for at least another 2 months. Thinking here, I could only shake my head, resigned to this fact. I missed my home. I shouldn't be here in the first place. This war should not happened at all. It's Bush and his oil. His failure to convince me that this war is on terrorism irritates me. We are all his pawns in his own game. Damn it.

Time was 1833. The loud-speakers from the mosques that were blaring the evening prayers were no longer there. Replacing them were the militants' message condemning the Americans and calling the local residents to take up arms for an uprising.
"Alright guys, this is it. Let's end this once and for all. Make this the final and decisive assault on Fallujah ok? Then we can rest." Sgt Krack trying to raise the morale of us. "For Bush!" someone from the back of the Humvee shouted. Everybody laughed.

1847. "Dismount! All round defense!" I got out from the Humvee and take cover behind an abandoned vehicle. The houses that we were targetting seemed isolated. "Be careful of snipers.." Jimmy whispered next to me. I nodded... cursing Bush at the same time. Suddenly a burst of automatic fire came from one of the houses. "Fuck you! You asked for it!" Sgt Moss roared back. With that he directed the 50 HMG from the Humvees to answer back. "Krack! Get your man to screw those basterds!" Sgt Moss instructed. Sgt Krack immediately turned around and looked at me. "Miller, Erwin, follow me. The rest cover fire!" With that he charged forward. Too gang-ho for my liking. 3 men to raid a house? Suicidal man I thought as I moved my ass and follow Krack. "All the best.." Jimmy said and we exchanged some high-fives.

I thought I saw a bullet whistled over my helmet. We reached the door after much huffing and panting. Krack instructed Miller to prepare a grenade and pointed at me to bring down the door. With one mighty kick I crashed open the broken door and Miller threw the grenade inside with precise coordination. I could feel the shock wave as the grenade exploded. Putting on my mask and switching my M-16 to auto mode.. I am ready. "Go Go Go!" Krack led the way and we moved inside the house. Apparently the grenade had did its job well. 2 dead bodies inside. "Clear..." Sgt Krack said. I moved to the window and gave my guys the thumbs up. Suddenly something ripped my right chest and I fell to the ground. "What the fuck.. " Miller came to me and tried to gave me first aid. "Medic! Medic!" Someone shouted. Footsteps rushed into the room. The world starting to black out on me. " Oh shit.. I'm so sorry, didn't mean to shoot him.." I thought I heard someone said. What the hell... I miss my home...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home