The Good Life

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Aren't We Fortunate?

I went to the library... and it's kind of crowded at the entrance. There were some people dressed in suits. They looked like some distinguished guests leh. There was a guy trying to exlpain to them something... but I can't catch what he is saying because I'm in a hurry. Need to chop a seat fast. Guests coming to visit our library.. I looked around and I thought that we are quite fortunate to have libraries so that people like me can hibernate in them.

I gazed down and watched the bustling scene of the bazaar. Under the hot blazing sun, people are trading their goods for some money. Children running around bare footed, playing with stones. They seem so innocent.. I thought. But they are born in the wrong place. There is no hope in the country. I sighed... just celebrated my 22nd birthday yesterday. My family is poor, but my mother still managed to cook some curry and we had some bread to go with it for dinner. One of the nicest dinner I ever had. Then I thought of her. I wanted to tell her yesterday was my birthday. I went to her place but her family said she was not around. I am sad and disappointed... because I wanted to see her for the last time. I heard that people like me are studying in a place called the University.. or are even earning big money in America. Everyday go MacDonalds for meals, have computers in their homes. But here I am struggling to find food for my next meal.. nothing to fight for.. family is suffering.. they are the cost of all these. They bombed my hometown mercilessly.. killing people indiscriminately... snatching away our freedom.. burning our land. Those big white shit are going to pay for all these. Hatred and anger are rising inside me...
"The Amalikens are her!!" someone shouted. I looked up and saw the convoy coming. I quickly picked up my RPG and scrambled to my position... heart beating like mad. I felt sorry for my family... because I can only do so much. As the first vehicle reached my shooting range, I thought of her and miss her smile.. her voice. If only I could see her last night..

I'm hungry.. what should I eat for lunch later? Hmm.. char kway tiao seems to be a good choice..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home