The Good Life

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Exclusively Live From Iraq

"Hey you better stick to me... if you lose sight of me I can't guarantee your safety. It will be rough out there, you dig it?" Cpl Prospar turned around and gave me a wink. I slightly nod my head, wiping sweats from my forehead. It's abit crowded in the Bradley vehicle... Capt Myers assigned Prospar to protect me... and I'm travelling with Coy 2 of the 2nd Battalion US marines.

Time is 0923. We dismounted from the vehicles and gathered at a relatvely quiet neighbourhood. Seeing my puzzled look, Prospar gave me the answer. "Yeah... we are supposed to go to District 3B, but we are dismounting here and will be going there by foot. Vehicles make a lot of noises and easily ambushed, you dig it?" Again he gave me a wink. I'm starting to feel a little iritated.

1029. The soldiers spread out along the streets. Nobody spoke a word... using hand signals instead. Suddenly an explosion occured on my 3 o'clock direction. It seemed like a marine had triggered a roadside bomb. Medics were attending to him and claimed that he was in a stable condition. The battalion signaller caled back HQ for a helicopter to airlift the injured back.

1057. The company continued walking. Streets were deserted. There were some Iraqis in the city... unwilling to leave despite the on-going battle. Many marines were actually afraid that some were militants in disguise and will not hesitate to pull the trigger. "We are supposed to liberate the Iraqis, but now we don't know whether they are friends or foes." as Prospar had once said.

1203. Company set up a perimeter defence and were taking a break. Capt Myers told me that after the break they will enter District 3B and begin their assault. Estimate timing will be 1330. I will end my report here. Will report back live once the assault starts. Murphy... live from Iraq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home