The Good Life

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

How Much Land Do I Need?

I woke up and went to the field as usual. Digging the ground and fertilising the crops till afternoon. I picked a shaded tree and sat down to wait for my lunch. I have quite a big land... but it's not fertile... not ideal for planting. Started to think of harvest time and I did a mental calculation of how much I can get from selling the harvest.

I heard the barking and saw my dog running towards me... with my beloved wife trying to catch up from behind. "Smells nice!" I remarked and started to dig in. While eating, I began to complain to my wife about how lousy our land is, and how fertile the land from the east are. "Dear, our land is fine... after the harvest we can use the money to buy another plot of land so we can grow more." my wife said. I kept quiet as I continue eating, and thought that still the harvest will not be as good as those from the fields of the east.

At night I picked my stuffs and walked home. Upon reaching, I saw a stranger in the house. "Dear, Mr Han is a businessman from the east. He travelled by and ask for a lodging for the night.. so I welcomed him." my wife started to introduce me to him. From the east? I began to ask him questions... Mr Han started to fill my with informations that tell me how fertile the lands are... how the farmers over there always enjoy bumper harvest. "The mayor there is the best... those who wants to buy land from his county have to go through one test. The buyer can determine the size of his field... that is he can travel how far he wants and have to come back to the starting point by sun set... and the land is his!!" I nearly choked on my rice when I heard that.

The next morning I started off with Mr Han. I am determined to meet the mayor... and buy some of his land. My wife wanted me to take the dog with me... and I saw a worried look in her eyes. "Don't worry... I'll be fine. We will be rich when I get back." I assured her.

The mayor is pleased to meet me. Gave me a wonderful dinner and told me the test will start in the morning. That night my dog was by my side.. sometimes barked at nobody..

It was a beautiful morning. "Remember.. back by sun set.. and the land is yours!" the mayor said and I set off. With quick steps I walked, and stopped to dig a hole every 200 meters. Like that they won't have a chance to deny me of my land.. I thought. I will turned right after that junction.. I thought between pants. I skipped lunch as it will waste my time. Then I only digged a hole every 300 meters... I started to drag my heels. In late noon.. my dog suddenly dashed in front of me and head towards the starting point. It turned around and started to bark at me. Another 300 meters dear...

I saw the setting sun. I increased my pace though I'm tired. Have to reach the starting point or everything will be wasted. From the horizon I saw the mayor. "The sun is setting! Hurry!" I looked and I saw the sun was already halfway sinking into the horizon. I panicked and began to run. The mayor cheered me on.. laughing along the way. He seemed to be enjoying himself. Hurry hurry.. I told myself. The sun was 3/4 down... I ran even faster. My dog was running behind me... barking very loudly. 100 meters more... 50.. I started to feel dizzy..20.. I gasped for breath.. 5.. with a shout I threw myself to the ground.

I saw my beloved wife crying. Why are you crying? I got ourselves a great plot of land! I told her. She did not hear. I turned and I saw. My body lying on the ground. Undertakers were measuring my height. 1.7 meters. They started digging. 1.7 meters of land is all I need.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home